January 16, 2012

Holiday Door Hangers

For all you brave souls who like a challenge and are great at using power tools such as myself, here's a project you may want to tackle.  Keep in mind this is a dangerous craft because if your not careful you will easily get cut by the blade off the saw or even a couple splinters. going forward if you still would like to give it a shot here's what you will need.

*MDF Plywood (Medium Density Fiberboard) 
*safety goggles
*a wood sander but if you don't have a sander then the old fashion way will work with sand paper
*permanent marker sharpie for small details
*table saw, skill saw or jigsaw (any of these will work)
*electric drill
*acrylic paints, color of choice
*paint brush
*clear gloss spray paint
*copper wire
*wire cutter and needle nose pliers
*compound cement for beard and white puff ball for Santa clauses hat

Snow Men Series from 2010


This craft is a tribute to my father, he used to enjoy making and sculpting things out of wood and in efforts to keep his tradition alive I began making Christmas decoration to hang around the home or where my dad intended them to be adorned in front of the door. I began carrying on his tradition in 2010 by making Snow men for some of my relatives however, not everyone was able to get one because, I ran short on time and wood so this year I made one for those that didn't receive one last year. As you may have imagined  there weren't many to go around so I must get started early this year for the holidays. I don't mean to brag but, I'm very excited about the upcoming project for 2012. It will remain a secret so you will just need to wait and see.

 As I already mentioned snow men were last years hanger, this year I choose two design concepts: Santa Clause to stay with a holiday tradition and also penguins.  Since each piece is unique to the recipient I asked each of my family members which of the two they wanted and penguins were all the rage this year.
My uncle who is a huge Angel's fan wanted something to do with baseball so I incorporated the emblem on the hat for his home so that Santa wouldn't be just an ordinary clause. 

My mother asked me to make her tin soldiers, they are just to decorate the house with, the Santa Clause picture at the very top of this post is the door hanger that hung on our door this year. I should have know since, I'm the one making all the decorations my mom would want one of everything. In the picture there isn't only one tin soldier theirs three and I wonder why that might be well let me tell you. My mom didn't want one soldier to feel lonely so she asked me to make two more so they would all stand proud together. Ironically, I don't believe that excuse either she just didn't want to mention being greedy that she wanted more because they turned out cute. 
this penguin is supposed to a Laker girl inspired cheerleader, my piece isn't finished yer I made myself a Yankee inspired penguin. I painted it and choose to change it so once its finished I will be sure to post it to see what everybody thinks.
 My cousin Mike who is a Raiders fan recently converted his garage into his "man cave" so this Raider penguin hangs proudly in the man den. I'm not a fan of Oakland but hey, I still think it turned out really really good. I think the extra details of the Nike Cortez's added some personality to this "Raider Nation" penguin wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment